Longforth Farm

1088 Medieval walls at Longforth

Archaeological excavations at Longforth Farm, Wellington have revealed a Bronze Age landscape and a previously unknown complex of medieval buildings. The site has been excavated, ahead of development, by Wessex Archaeology, one of the largest archaeological practices in the UK. We work with councils, developers, landowners and heritage organisations to ensure that archaeological evidence is recorded and disseminated before work begins on new development schemes. 

1125

The excavations, funded by Bloor Homes and supported by Somerset County Council, have enabled us to examine and record this exciting archaeology and understand Wellington's hidden heritage. As a responsible developer, Bloor Homes have embraced the requirement for ecological and archaeological mitigation whilst addressing the housing needs of a continually expanding community.

The results of the excavations have been published in our Occasional Paper series.
 
You can also download a booklet which illustrates the story. 
 
A selection of the finds from Longforth Farm are on display at Wellington Museum
 
Please check the Museum’s website for opening hours.
 
For more information browse through the links on the right or below.
 
Associated pages
Longforth Community Engagement 
Blog post: Mystery Medieval Archaeological Site
Blog post: Sunshines Bright for Media Day
Blog post: Local Communities Flock to Longforth
Blog post: Longforth Farm Floor Tiles
Blog post: Local Schools Discover Archaeology
 
 
AttachmentSize
Longforth Farm - booklet.pdf1.01 MB

Early Prehistoric

3171

The earliest evidence for human activity on the site − and indeed the region − is a Terminal Upper Palaeolithic blade dating to around 9500−8500 BC. This stone tool, made from Greensand chert, would have belonged to a hunter-gatherer passing through the area after the last Ice Age. It could have been used for chopping or cutting meat.
 
A concentration of Mesolithic (8500−4000 BC) flint blades was found around a former stream channel, perhaps the focus of a later temporary camp site.
 
 

Bronze Age

3174

The earliest archaeological features identified at Longforth Farm are a series of shallow ditches and gullies; the remains of field systems, enclosures, trackways and paddocks dating to the Bronze Age (3500 years ago). Enclosures such as these suggest that farming was taking place on the site and it is probable that a settlement was located nearby. Although no buildings were identified in the excavation, activity was focused around a stream channel which would have provided a source of water. A dump of burnt stone may have come from a cooking hearth.
 
We have been able to date the features using a few small pieces of Trevisker Ware, a distinctive type of pottery common in the south-west, that have been recovered from the ditches. It is likely that the pottery was thrown into the ditches with other household waste such as bits of food and the clearings from the hearth.
 
 
 

Medieval Buildings

3163

The principal discovery at Longforth Farm was the remains of a previously unknown high status medieval building complex. The discovery of a substantial and extensive complex of medieval buildings was completely unexpected and raised a number of questions – what were the buildings, when were they built, who were they built for, and when and why did they disappear? 
 
The building complex is thought to have been a manor house and though heavily robbed, key elements identified include a hall, solar with garderobe, and service wing. A forecourt lay to the north and a courtyard with at least one ancillary building and a possible detached kitchen to the south. To the east was a complex of enclosures and pits and beyond this a fishpond.
 
There was a restricted range and number of medieval finds, but together these suggest that occupation spanned the late 12th/early 13th century to the late 14th/early 15th century. There was a notable group of medieval floor tiles and roof furniture, but documentary research has failed to identify the owners and any records relating specifically to this important building. One possibility is that it belonged to the Bishops of Bath and Wells, and was perhaps abandoned around the end of the 14th century when they may have moved their court to within the nearby and then relatively new market town of Wellington.
 
In conclusion, we still don’t know for certain who built the manor house and why it was abandoned, but it represents a remarkable and unexpected discovery. Perhaps one day in the future a researcher will find documents lying undiscovered in a church archive or library that will provide answers to this medieval mystery.
 

Medieval Pottery

3167

Only a relatively small assemblage of medieval pottery was recovered (745 sherds) including coarse kitchen wares and finer glazed tablewares. However, its significance lies in its provenance from a high status rural settlement – a rarity within the region. The relative absence of pottery and other domestic refuse suggests that rubbish was disposed of elsewhere, outside the area excavated. Amongst the pottery were fragments of jars and several jugs, at least one of which came from south-west France. There were also two costrels, unusual vessels for holding liquids which copied leather containers, and were suspended from the belt.
 
3168
 
 
 
 

Medieval Floor Tiles

3170

At the west end of the house, in the area of the solar or principal chamber – and perhaps from the private chapel – was a group of glazed floor tile fragments, all manufactured around 1250−1300. There are seven designs amongst the decorated fragments, including heraldic examples of the St Barbe family and another showing Richard I and Saladin. 
 
The tiles were made by stamping the design into wet clay infilled with a contrasting white slip, then covering the whole surface with a clear glaze. Used in various arrangements, these tiles would have made a highly decorative floor surface.
 
All of the designs recovered can be seen at Glastonbury Abbey, as well as Wells Cathedral, Cleeve Abbey and Bridgewater Friary. Tiled floors would have been expensive, and were most commonly found in buildings with an ecclesiastical connection, supporting the suggested link of the manor house with the Bishops of Bath and Wells.
 
 
 

Medieval Roof Tiles

3176

A large number of broken roof slates were found during the excavation, left behind because they could not be reused. These stone slates came from the Brendon Hills, possibly from quarries at North Wiveliscombe or Treborough. 
 
There were also many fragments of ceramic ridge tiles with crested tops and knife-slashed decoration, finished in a variety of green and yellow glazes. This detail is another indicator that the house was both impressive and of high status. The ridge tiles would have been used on the crest of the roof and would have been visible from the ground.