There was little to show what the site was like before the medieval period. A scattering of burnt and worked flint suggested that prehistoric people once used the area and there were a few pieces of Roman brick and tile, probably from a building nearby (the Roman Watling Street ran through Sittingbourne).
The majority of the archaeology from the site dates to the medieval period (1066-1499), and the most interesting discovery was the site of a medieval bakery.
The bakery measures about 5m x 7.5m with an L-shaped extension to the north-east. Traces of a clay floor in the middle of the bakery were covered with charcoal, animal bone and mid-11th – early 13th century pottery. The remains of an oven and a hearth were found at the southern end of the building, both in a good state of preservation.
The presence of a bakery suggests that the grain to produce the bread would have been grown nearby. The type of grain used would have been the same bread wheat as we use today. It is also possible that they used rye to make their bread, as this would have grown well in the local soil.
However, our only evidence of medieval farming in the area, at present, is documentary evidence for a droveway which was used to drive animals from farm to market.