The post-medieval period (1500-1800)

Post-medieval well lined with flint cobblesPost-medieval well lined with flint cobblesAs the excavation on site has moved further from the street frontage, a flint-lined well has been uncovered. It was dug sometime between the 16th and 18th centuries, before piped supplies were available and it drew water held in the underlying chalk.
 
Maps from the 17th and 18th centuries have provided us with useful information about the site . John Speed’s rather sketchy 1611 map of Winchester appears to show two buildings with a narrow lane to the north connecting Jewry Street with Staple Gardens, roughly in the vicinity of the site.
 
Three buildings, still apparent today, can be seen on William Godson’s 1750 map of Winchester . The northern building is wider, perhaps reflecting the modern division between Numbers 19 and 20.
 
The lane shown on the 1611 map has gone and appears to have been absorbed within the boundaries of 20 Jewry Street. Also significant is the amount of open ground within the city walls. This picture is little altered by the time of Thomas Milne’s 1791 Plan of the City of Winchester.
 
Speed's map from 1611Speed's map from 1611William Godson's map from 1750William Godson's map from 1750
 
Thomas Milne's map from 1791Thomas Milne's map from 1791