Kingsborough Manor

A picture has emerged of the way the landscape of the Isle of Sheppey has developed from the Neolithic to the post-medieval period, thanks to extensive investigations over a decade at the Kingsborough Manor housing development. The work was commissioned and funded by Jones Homes (Southern) prior to housing development.
 
During the Neolithic period this was a ceremonial landscape, dominated by two causewayed enclosures. The 16 hectare site has commanding views to the south, west and north and this must be one of the reasons why the two causewayed enclosures were constructed here.
 
After the monuments fell into disuse little activity took place for two and a half millennia, until the Middle to the Late Bronze Age when the site was used for rituals and burials.  
 
The coastline is now only 1 km north of the site, but in prehistory (when the sea level was lower) it was further north and the resources the land offered would have been very different. The land has been used almost exclusively for agriculture until the recent housing developments of the late 20th-early 21st centuries.
 
Jörn Schuster provides an up-to-date overview of the results of ten years of investigation in a recent article in Archaeologia Cantiana, 30, 2010, ‘The Neolithic to Post-Medieval Archaeology of Kingsborough, Eastchurch, Isle of Sheppey: from monuments to fields’.

1412