Wessex Archaeology invites applications for the following post:
3D Character Artist (12-month post)
Based in the UK
Technician Grade £20,666 to £22,232
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Wessex Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in the UK with offices in Salisbury, Bristol, Sheffield, Meopham and Edinburgh. As a registered Charity our aims are to support the education of the public in the arts, culture, heritage and science through the pursuit of archaeology, to benefit society and the economy. We recognise that our employees are paramount to our success and aim to foster a working environment that protects the physical and mental well-being of our people.
We are currently seeking to appoint a 3D Character Artist (modeler and animator) to work alongside our Studio team creating characters to add into our 3D heritage environments and video outputs. Characters will be made as game ready assets to add to our resource library. Characters will be based on heritage/archaeological evidence supplied by our specialist team and cover all time periods (Prehistoric, Roman, Saxon, Medieval). The successful candidate will be experienced at rigging and animation.
They will be expected to work closely with the existing 3D artists. They need to be flexible in their approach and will help develop efficient 3D character workflows within the team.
The aim of this post is to create a library of 3D characters for a range of time periods, as well as the associated textures. These characters will be used in: video outputs, educational materials, and in heritage interpretation products such as VR, AR and games. The role is ideally based in our Salisbury head office, but we will also consider applicants for our other offices. We offer flexible working with partial or full homebased working options.
The successful candidate will:
- be a recent graduate 3D modeller seeking employment within the heritage sector;
- specialised in 3D character modelling, rigging and animation;
- have a portfolio of examples of their work that demonstrate the above skills;
- have an understanding of Maya, Z-brush and Substance;
- ideally have some experience working with Unreal Engine;
- have a keen interest in heritage or archaeology;
- be an ambitious individual with the aptitude and aspiration to develop;
- have excellent communication skills;
- be technically astute, with an excellent understanding of the requirements of 3D modelling deliverables;
- have a flexible, pragmatic, collaborative approach.
What will this provide?
The successful candidate will receive:
- an opportunity for Continuing Professional Development;
- a chance to expand their understanding of potential employers and their requirements;
- experience of working in a commercial company;
- an opportunity to work alongside a team of illustrators, 3D artists and animators;
- an opportunity to work on heritage interpretation products;
- an opportunity to create characters from the past;
- access to heritage specialist knowledge;
- an opportunity to help develop workflows;
- an opportunity to expand their portfolio.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form, available to download below, with a copy of their CV, and return it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by close of business on Friday 21 May 2021. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged. For all queries, please contact Karen Nichols (Studio Manager) email@example.com
Wessex Archaeology is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity.
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.