Wessex Archaeology invites applications for the following post:
3D Character Modeller (6-month post)
Technician Grade £19,373 - £20,841
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Wessex Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in the UK and is a registered Charity whose aims are to support the education of the public in the arts, culture, heritage and science through the pursuit of archaeology, to benefit society and the economy. We recognise that our employees are paramount to our success and aim to foster a working environment that protects the physical and mental well-being of our people.
We are currently seeking to appoint a 3D Character Modeller/Animator to work alongside our Studio team creating characters to add into our existing and future 3D heritage environments. These characters will need to be game ready assets to add to our resource library. The role will require characters from different periods to be created (Prehistoric, Roman, Saxon, Medieval) and will be based on heritage/archaeological evidence supplied by our specialist team. The successful candidate will also be experienced at rigging and have some animation experience.
They will be expected to work closely with the existing 3D artists. They would be expected to be flexible in their approach and help develop efficient 3D character creation workflows within the team.
The aim of this post is to create a library of 3D characters for a range of time periods, as well as the associated and textures. These characters will be animated and used for educational materials and in heritage interpretation products such as VR, AR and games. The role though based out of the office at our Headquarters in Salisbury also allows for remote working.
The successful candidate will:
- be a recent graduate 3D modeller seeking employment within the heritage sector;
- specialised in 3D character modelling, rigging and animation;
- have a basic understanding of 3ds max, Z-brush and Substance;
- ideally have some experience working with unreal engine;
- have a portfolio of examples of their work;
- have a keen interest in heritage or archaeology;
- be an ambitious individual with the aptitude and aspiration to develop;
- have excellent communication skills;
- be technically astute, with an excellent understanding of the requirements of 3D modelling deliverables;
- have a flexible, pragmatic, collaborative approach.
What will this provide?
The successful candidate will receive:
- an opportunity for Continuing Professional Development
- a chance to expand their understanding of potential employers and their requirements
- experience of working in a commercial company
- an opportunity to work alongside a team of illustrators, 3D artists and animators
- an opportunity to work on heritage interpretation products
- an opportunity to create archaeological characters from various time periods
- access to heritage specialist knowledge
- an opportunity to help develop workflows
- an opportunity to expand their portfolio
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form with a copy of their CV and portfolio link, and return it by email to email@example.com. Applications must be received by close of business on Friday 30 October 2020. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged. For all queries, please contact Karen Nichols (Studio Manager) firstname.lastname@example.org
Wessex Archaeology is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity.
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK without restrictions. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.