Wessex Archaeology invites applications for the following post:
Archaeological Fieldwork Technician
Fixed term contract
REF: SALFWK 03.18
Archaeological Technician - £18,003 to £19,342 per annum
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Wessex Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in the UK and is a registered Charity whose aims are to promote the advancement of education and the advancement of the arts, culture, heritage and science. We have offices in Salisbury, Sheffield, Maidstone, Bristol, Edinburgh and Wales.
Wessex Archaeology is a Registered Organisation with the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists and has ISO 9001:2015 certification.
We are seeking enthusiastic candidates who hold a degree in an appropriate subject for a project-specific contract local to our Head Office in Salisbury, working within an internationally significant archaeological landscape. The ideal candidate will be a heritage professional with demonstrable fieldwork experience in a professional commercial archaeological environment. We expect the successful candidates to be able to work well as part of a team but also be motivated and able to work independently.
Initially we will appoint staff on minimum 3-month fixed term contracts, contract extensions may follow for staff with appropriate skills, dependant on the availability of work.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your career in fieldwork archaeology with one of the largest independent archaeological companies in the UK. At Wessex Archaeology we are dedicated to investing in our staff through training and development.
- A good degree in archaeology or related subject
- A valid CSCS card
- A flexible approach to working hours to meet the demands of the role
- Ability to work with self-awareness and the confidence to ask questions
- Ability to manage own time and work to tight deadlines
- Full clean Driving Licence
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Archaeologists
- SSSTS or other H&S qualifications
- Competitive salary range in line with CIfA salary guidelines (appointments will be made on the basis of demonstrated ability, previous experience and CIfA membership as appropriate). 50% contribution towards CIfA subscription fees;
- A company Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) – confidential external advice on health and wellbeing;
- 22 days p.a. holiday entitlement (plus bank holidays) rising to 27 after 5 year’s continuous employment;
- Paid sick leave from start of contract;
- Immediate eligibility for inclusion in the group pension plan with an employer contribution of 4%;
- Free accommodation provided for projects beyond reasonable travel distances, as well as an overnight subsistence payment (£15 per night, with a further £5 per night as breakfast contribution if in S/C accommodation);
- Free transport from regional offices to sites;
- High quality personal protective equipment;
- Drivers are entitled to time in lieu in excess of the 7.4 working day;
- Individual training and development, including free BAJR skills passport, HSE certification, mentoring, annual appraisal, personal development plans and career progression maps;
- Life assurance scheme;
- Childcare vouchers;
- Bike2Work scheme.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form with a copy of their CV; and returned by e-mail to email@example.com by close of business on Friday 30 March 2018. It should be noted that immediate appointments will be available, so prompt application is recommended. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged.
Further details, including Job Descriptions, Person Specifications and Application Packs can be downloaded below. For all queries please contact Susan Clelland, Senior Logistics Officer for the WA Field Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK prior to commencement of employment.