Wessex Archaeology invites applications for the following post:
Archaeological Fieldwork Technician
Fixed term contract
REF: SALFWK 07.18
Archaeological Technician - £18,900 to £20,333 per annum
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Wessex Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in the UK and is a registered Charity whose aims are to promote the advancement of education and the advancement of the arts, culture, heritage and science. We have offices in Salisbury, Sheffield, Maidstone, Bristol, Edinburgh and Wales.
We are looking for enthusiastic archaeologists to join our experienced fieldwork teams on several multi-phase projects in either Bristol, Maidstone or Salisbury. You will be part of a team contributing to the safe, effective and successful delivery of projects.
This is an exciting opportunity to develop your career in archaeology with one of the largest independent archaeological companies in the UK. At Wessex Archaeology we are dedicated to investing in our staff through training and development.
Applicants should ideally have at least three months UK commercial archaeology experience and it is vital that you work well within a team. You will be expected to:
- Be open to learning and receiving direction;
- Communicate appropriately and respectfully;
- Be responsible and accountable for your work, actions and decisions.
- A valid CSCS card
- A flexible approach to working hours to meet the demands of the role
- Ability to work with self-awareness and the confidence to ask questions
- Ability to manage own time and work to tight deadlines
- A good degree in archaeology or related subject
- Full clean Driving Licence
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Archaeologists
- SSSTS or other H&S qualifications
- Competitive salary range in line with CIfA salary guidelines (appointments will be made on the basis of demonstrated ability, previous experience and CIfA membership as appropriate). 50% contribution towards CIfA subscription fees;
- A company Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) – confidential external advice on health and wellbeing;
- 22 days p.a. holiday entitlement (plus bank holidays) rising to 27 after 5 year’s continuous employment;
- Paid sick leave from start of contract;
- Immediate eligibility for inclusion in the group pension plan with an employer contribution of 4%;
- Free accommodation provided for projects beyond reasonable travel distances, as well as an overnight subsistence payment (£15 per night, with a further £5 per night as breakfast contribution if in S/C accommodation);
- Free transport from regional offices to sites;
- High quality personal protective equipment;
- Drivers are entitled to time in lieu in excess of the 7.4 working day;
- Individual training and development, including free BAJR skills passport, HSE certification, mentoring, annual appraisal, personal development plans and career progression maps;
- Life assurance scheme;
- Childcare vouchers;
- Bike2Work scheme.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form (below) and returned by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business on Friday 27th July 2018. It should be noted that immediate appointments will be available, so prompt application is recommended. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged.
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK prior to commencement of employment.