Wessex Archaeology invites applications for the following post:
Archaeological Fieldwork Technician
REF: MAIDFWK 03.19
Archaeological Technician - £18,900 to £20,333 + London weighting £781.55
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Wessex Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in the UK and is a registered Charity whose aims are to promote the advancement of education and the advancement of the arts, culture, heritage and science. We have offices in Salisbury, Sheffield, Maidstone, Bristol and Edinburgh.
Wessex Archaeology is a Registered Organisation with the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists and has ISO 9001:2015 certification.
The ideal candidates will be heritage professionals with demonstrable fieldwork experience in a professional commercial archaeological environment. We expect the successful candidates to be able to work well as part of a team but also be motivated and able to work independently.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your career in fieldwork archaeology with one of the largest independent archaeological companies in the UK. At Wessex Archaeology, we are dedicated to investing in our staff through training and development.
Initially we will appoint staff on minimum 3-month fixed term contracts, longer term contracts may be available for staff with appropriate skills. Successful applicants will assist in the delivery of fieldwork services across London and the South East.
You will be expected to:
- Be open to learning and receiving direction;
- Communicate appropriately and respectfully;
- Be responsible and accountable for your work, actions and decisions.
- A valid CSCS card – we can help and advise you on obtaining one of these
- Ability to work with self-awareness and the confidence to ask questions
- Ability to manage own time and work to tight deadlines
- Full clean Driving Licence
- Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists
- SSSTS or other H&S qualifications
- A good degree in archaeology or related subject
- Competitive salary range in line with CIfA salary guidelines (appointments will be made on the basis of demonstrated ability, previous experience and CIfA membership as appropriate). 50% contribution towards CIfA subscription fees;
- A company Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) – confidential external advice on health and wellbeing;
- 22 days p.a. holiday entitlement (plus bank holidays) rising to 27 after 5 year’s continuous employment;
- Paid sick leave from start of contract;
- Immediate eligibility for inclusion in the group pension plan with an employer contribution of 4%;
- Free accommodation provided for projects beyond reasonable travel distances, as well as an overnight subsistence payment (£15 per night, with a further £5 per night as breakfast contribution if in S/C accommodation);
- Free transport from regional offices to sites;
- High quality personal protective equipment;
- Drivers are entitled to time in lieu in excess of the 7.4 working day;
- Individual training and development, including free BAJR skills passport, HSE certification, mentoring, annual appraisal, personal development plans and career progression maps;
- Life assurance scheme;
- Childcare vouchers;
- Bike2Work scheme.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form (below) and returned by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by close of business on Friday 29 March 2019. It should be noted that immediate appointments will be available, so prompt application is recommended. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged.
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants must be either a British citizen, EU National or hold a full work visa or a current work permit. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.