Wessex Archaeology invites applications for the following post:
REF: MAIDFWK 06.19
£21,871 to £24,839 p.a. (London Fringe Payment £870)
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
Wessex Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in the UK, and as a registered charity our aims are to promote the advancement of education, the arts, culture, heritage and science. We have offices in Salisbury, Sheffield, Maidstone, Bristol, Edinburgh and Ruthin.
The role of Archaeological Supervisor is predominantly a full-time field-based role, sometimes including working away from home during each week, but we also promote work-life balance as a vital aspect of modern-day employment. If you need a more flexible arrangement, whilst we can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, we do promise to listen and provide what we can.
Due to the continued expansion of our operations, we are looking for talented and enthusiastic archaeologists to join our fieldwork supervisory team based at Maidstone.
This is an excellent opportunity to progress your career in fieldwork archaeology with one of the largest independent archaeological companies in the UK. At Wessex Archaeology, we are dedicated to investing in our staff through training and development. The role of Project Supervisor will be an appointment to our core staff on a permanent contract, initially with a 6-month probationary period. Successful applicants will assist in the delivery of fieldwork services across London and the South East.
For successful applicants, prior experience of supervising and report writing within a commercial environment would be a distinct advantage, but the post may also suit experienced Archaeological Technicians who feel they are ready to move up to the next level in their archaeological career.
As an Archaeological Supervisor at Wessex Archaeology, you will be expected to:
- Be open to learning and receiving direction;
- Be prepared to mentor/ train more junior colleagues – whether through task-specific training events or on-the-job guidance and advice;
- Communicate appropriately and respectfully; and
- Be responsible and accountable for your work, actions and decisions.
Essential skills for successful applicants will be:
- A full clean Driving Licence;
- To have a valid CSCS card – we can provide help and advice on obtaining these;
- To have the ability to work with self-awareness and the confidence to ask questions; and
- Able to manage their own time and work to deadlines.
Highly desirable attributes will include:
- Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists; and
- SSSTS or other H&S qualifications.
Whilst a having a good degree in archaeology or a related subject will certainly be of benefit, at Wessex Archaeology we also recognise that there are many very capable archaeologists both within our company, and across the sector as a whole, who do not have university qualifications. We will therefore welcome applications from all who wish to join our London & South East fieldwork team, graduates and non-graduates alike.
With highly competitive salaries we are also able to offer many additional benefits to working for Wessex, including:
- Competitive salary range in line with CIfA salary guidelines (appointments will be made on the basis of demonstrated ability, previous experience and CIfA membership as appropriate). 50% contribution towards CIfA subscription fees;
- A company Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) – confidential external advice on health and wellbeing;
- 22 days p.a. holiday entitlement (plus bank holidays) rising to 27 after 5 year’s continuous employment;
- Paid sick leave from start of contract;
- Immediate eligibility for inclusion in the group pension plan with an employer contribution of 5%;
- Free accommodation provided for projects beyond reasonable travel distances, as well as an overnight subsistence payment (£15 per night, with a further £5 per night as breakfast contribution if in S/C accommodation);
- Free transport from regional offices to sites;
- High quality personal protective equipment;
- Drivers are entitled to time in lieu in excess of the 7.4 working day;
- Individual training and development, including free BAJR skills passport, HSE certification, mentoring, annual appraisal, personal development plans and career progression maps;
- Life assurance scheme;
- Bike2Work scheme;
- Financial assistance with relocation;
- Staff discounts for local businesses.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form (available to download below) with a copy of their CV; returned by e-mail to email@example.com. Applications must be received by close of business on Friday 19 July 2019. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged.
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK prior to commencement of employment.