Wessex Archaeology invites applications for the following post:
Maidstone, United Kingdom
REF: MAIDFWK 06.19
£19,373 to £22,401 p.a. London Fringe Payment £870
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Wessex Archaeology is one of the largest independent archaeological practices in the UK, and as a registered charity our aims are to promote the advancement of education, the arts, culture, heritage and science. We have offices in Salisbury, Sheffield, Maidstone, Bristol, Edinburgh and Ruthin.
The role of Archaeological Technician is primarily a full-time field-based role, sometimes including working away from home during each week, but we also promote work-life balance as a vital aspect of modern-day employment. If you need a more flexible arrangement, whilst we can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, we do promise to listen and provide what we can.
Due to the continued expansion of our operations, we are looking for talented and enthusiastic archaeologists to join our fieldwork team based at Maidstone – whether you already have experience in a commercial environment, or someone embarking on the first steps of your archaeological career.
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your career in fieldwork archaeology with one of the largest independent archaeological companies in the UK. At Wessex Archaeology, we are dedicated to investing in our staff through training and development. Initially we will appoint staff on minimum 3-month fixed term contracts, longer term contracts may be available for staff with appropriate skills and/or experience. Successful applicants will assist in the delivery of fieldwork services across London and the South East.
Prior experience of archaeological excavation and recording within a commercial environment would be a distinct advantage, but the post may also suit less experienced archaeologists who are just starting out in their archaeological career. As an Archaeological Technician at Wessex Archaeology, you will be expected to:
- Be open to learning and receiving direction;
- Communicate appropriately and respectfully; and
- Be responsible and accountable for your work, actions and decisions.
Essential skills for successful applicants will be:
- To have a valid CSCS card – we can provide help and advice on obtaining these;
- To have the ability to work with self-awareness and the confidence to ask questions; and
- Able to manage their own time and work to deadlines.
Highly desirable attributes will include:
- A full clean Driving Licence;
- Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists; and
- SSSTS or other H&S qualifications.
Whilst having a good degree in archaeology or a related subject will certainly be of benefit, at Wessex Archaeology we also recognise that there are many very capable archaeologists both within our company, and across the sector as a whole, who do not have university qualifications. We will therefore welcome applications from all who wish to join our London & South East fieldwork team, graduates and non-graduates alike.
- Competitive salary range in line with CIfA salary guidelines (appointments will be made on the basis of demonstrated ability, previous experience and CIfA membership as appropriate). 50% contribution towards CIfA subscription fees;
- A company Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) – confidential external advice on health and wellbeing;
- 22 days p.a. holiday entitlement (plus bank holidays) rising to 27 after 5 year’s continuous employment;
- Paid sick leave from start of contract;
- Immediate eligibility for inclusion in the group pension plan with an employer contribution of 5%;
- Free accommodation provided for projects beyond reasonable travel distances, as well as an overnight subsistence payment (£15 per night, with a further £5 per night as breakfast contribution if in S/C accommodation);
- Free transport from regional offices to sites;
- High quality personal protective equipment;
- Drivers are entitled to time in lieu in excess of the 7.4 working day;
- Individual training and development, including free BAJR skills passport, HSE certification, mentoring, annual appraisal, personal development plans and career progression maps;
- Life assurance scheme;
- Bike2Work scheme;
- Financial assistance with relocation;
- Staff discounts for local businesses.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form (available to download below) along with a copy of their CV; returned by email to email@example.com. Applications must be received by close of business on Friday 12 July 2019. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged.
For more information about the post please contact Mark Williams, Regional Manager, London and South East (firstname.lastname@example.org; 03303 133541).
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that all applicants must be either a British citizen, EU National or hold a full work visa or a current work permit. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.