Salary range: £27,117 - £30,349
Location: Bristol (flexible working supported)
Full-time Permanent Contract
Closing date:1st March 2024
Why join us?
Bringing together leading minds and practitioners in the sector, Wessex Archaeology a trusted archaeology and heritage service provider and educational charity. From our network of international offices, we work in partnership with our clients to deliver sustainable solutions to manage the historic environment - above ground, below ground and underwater. We are committed to our social impact. This means using the knowledge and connections we make through our commercial activities as a catalyst to engage the communities in which we work.
Join us and you’ll be part of a collaborative team committed to shaping a better future for our staff and the sector. As well as having knowledgeable and dedicated colleagues, you’ll have an opportunity to access a variety of fascinating and high-profile projects and develop your skills and knowledge along the way.
The role – what’s involved?
Supervising teams excavating and recording archaeological features and deposits and taking an active role in excavation and recording. You’ll apply your archaeological knowledge and experience gained supervising evaluations and excavations to make sure that your and others’ work is high quality. Enthusiastic and with a keen interest in British Archaeology, especially the late prehistoric period, you’ll have excellent excavation skills and be confident machine watching and undertaking site GPS surveys. A key part of the role will be motivating others and you’ll be confident creating positive collaborative working relationships with colleagues across the programme team.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Supervising teams to deliver projects on a variety of archaeological sites.
- Excavation and recording of features and deposits
- Working closely with Sub-contractors and Principal Contractors.
- Making sure that health, safety and wellbeing methodologies and policies are followed on site.
- Supervising plant
- Motivating and leading site teams to develop skills
- Help Deliver site strategies.
- Monitor initial site data.
- Ensuring work is completed to deadline and of a high standard.
- Full clean drivers' licence and willingness to drive company vehicles.
- A valid CSCS Card.
- SMSTS or SSSTS
What can you look forward to?
Our focus is on creating a collaborative culture where people can thrive, develop and where safety and wellbeing come first. From anonymising candidate data in our recruitment process to continuous improvements in our benefits, we’re committed to creating a safe, fair, and inclusive working environment.
- 22 days of annual leave per year plus bank holidays rising to 27 after 5 years of continuous service.
- Option to buy up to 5 days holiday per year.
- Salary Sacrifice Pension Scheme, Wessex Archaeology employer pension contribution 5%.
- Life assurance scheme of three times your basic salary.
Wellbeing and family-friendly benefits
- Our maternity, adoption and shared parental pay is 100% for 12 weeks, 90% for 21 weeks and 6 weeks statutory, day 1 eligibility.
- Enhanced paternity leave, up to 4 weeks from day 1
- 5 days of carers leave.
- Paid sick leave from the start of a contract, with the number of days dependent on length of service.
- Hybrid and flexible working arrangements where applicable.
- Company Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) - free and confidential service in the form of counselling and assistance in areas such as health and stress.
- AIG SmartHealth – round-the-clock support for you and your family.
Sustainability and other benefits
- Electric Vehicle Salary Sacrifice Scheme.
- Bike2Work scheme.
- 100% Professional membership costs reimbursed.
- High-quality personal protective equipment (PPE) provided.
- Free transport from regional offices to sites.
- Time in lieu or paid time for drivers.
- Subsistence allowance.
How to apply
Interested in working with us?
Email your completed application form and equal opportunities monitoring form by 11.59pm on 1st March 2024 to firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications will be acknowledged. If you have questions about the role, then please contact email@example.com
We welcome applications from people with disabilities and aim to be supportive in our recruitment and employment practices. Please let us know if you need any special arrangements or adjustments in the application or interview process.
Successful candidates must have proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK by the start of their employment.