Wessex Archaeology invites applications for the following post:
Reports Assistant / Officer
Based in Sheffield
Ref: SHEFFRES 09.21
£23,331 - £30,356
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Wessex Archaeology is the largest independent archaeological practice in the UK, and a registered charity which aims to promote the advancement of education, the arts, culture, heritage, and science. We are a market leader in the provision of historic environment services nationally and internationally, with UK offices in Salisbury, Sheffield, Meopham, Bristol and Edinburgh.
This role would particularly suit a field archaeologist who is familiar with typical project documentation and reports and wishes to move to an office-based role to develop their reporting and post-excavation skills. Based at our Sheffield office, the post-holder will be a member of our Company-wide Research department which includes technical experts covering all elements of the post-excavation process. In addition to post-excavation reporting this role will also include preparation of project documents during the fieldwork stage of projects.
Supported by experienced staff, the post-holder will prepare a range of project documentation and reports from WSIs to excavation reports. Knowledge and experience of commercial fieldwork projects, excavation techniques, stratigraphy and site recording are the essential foundations for this role. You will be keen to understand, analyse and interpret fieldwork results, to contribute to archaeological knowledge and to inform future planning and development decisions.
This is an opportunity to work as part of an industry-leading team and, in collaboration with fieldwork, geoservices and post-excavation experts, to contribute to the successful delivery of some of the most exciting archaeological projects in the UK.
The post-holder will benefit from training, mentoring and knowledge-sharing to develop their skills and expertise. Whilst the successful applicant will be required to work collegiately as part of the established team, the ability to work independently on defined tasks will also be essential.
We are looking for an individual who is open to learning and receiving direction, communicates appropriately and respectfully, and is approachable in providing support, guidance and advice to colleagues. You will also have:
- A degree in archaeology or related subject,
- Experience of working on commercial fieldwork (excavation) projects,
- Detailed knowledge and experience of excavation techniques and site recording,
- Experience preparing reports (for recruitment at Officer grade),
- Familiarity with typical fieldwork report structures and contents,
- Understanding of risk assessments and WSIs,
- A good understanding of British archaeology,
- Excellent written English,
- Experience of using MS Office 365 applications, particularly Word and Excel,
- Attention to detail,
- A passion for communicating archaeological information to a range of audiences,
- An awareness of current standards and guidance concerning fieldwork and reporting, such as those of Historic England and the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists.
It would be advantageous to have:
- Experience of contributing to or preparing reports (for recruitment at Supervisor grade),
- Experience of site survey and/or using ArcGIS
- Experience of using MS Teams
- Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (preferably at ACIfA level),
- Membership of period or other special-interest groups,
- A full driving licence.
Wessex Archaeology is a truly collaborative organisation, and though based in Sheffield, the successful candidate will work with our project teams in all regions on some of the most significant and challenging heritage projects across the UK. Occasional travel between offices and to sites may be required.
Flexible & hybrid working
A mix of office and homeworking can be offered, with a minimum of two days per week in the office at the beginning of the contract. We are also happy to discuss part-time or other flexible-working arrangements with the right candidate.
Applicants are invited to submit a completed application form, along with a CV and covering letter. An application form can be found at: www.wessexarch.co.uk/vacancies
Applications to be emailed to email@example.com. Applications must be received by close of business on Monday 27th September 2021 with remote interviews planned for week commencing 11th October. Receipt of all applications will be acknowledged.
Whilst Wessex Archaeology welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is committed to promoting equality of opportunity, it is essential that the successful candidate must by the start of their employment have permission to work in the UK. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.