Wincobank Hall, Sheffield

Wincobank Hall was built in the 18th century and demolished in the early 20th century. The redevelopment of the site in 2004–8 offered an opportunity to investigate the remains of the 18th- and 19th-century Hall through historical research and archaeological excavation.
 
Although the remains of the Hall had been truncated, five archaeological phases were identified and significant assemblages of window glass, lead cames, bottle glass and pottery were recovered. Of particular interest are makers’ marks on lead window cames which date to 1720 and 1736. Structural developments at the Hall during the 19th century correspond with the socio-political heyday of Wincobank Hall when it was a notable hub of anti-slavery campaigning and evangelical activity. 
 
The publication report is available here, and will in due course be published in the Transactions of the Hunter Society
 
AttachmentSize
Wincobank Hall Sheffield.pdf718.05 KB