Hazardous

A top view of the multibeam data.A top view of the multibeam data.Hazardous was originally built as Le Hazardeux, a French 3rd rate, in Port Louis in 1698. She was captured by the Royal Navy in 1703 and converted to an English 4th rate of 54 guns in Portsmouth.
 
Hazardous was lost in November 1706, when she was run aground in Bracklesham Bay.
 
The wreck was discovered by divers in 1977 and designated as a historic wreck under the Protection of Wrecks Act in 1986.
 
In 2003 Wessex Archaeology carried out magnetometer, sub bottom profiler and multibeam sonar surveys on the site.
 
A short movie clip showing the results of the multibeam survey can be downloaded here (MPEG, 6Mb).