Built in 1509, the Mary Rose was on of the bigger warships in Henry VIII fleet. She was rebuilt in 1536 and sank in 1545 during an engagement with the French fleet in the Solent.
The site was discovered by Alexander McKee in 1971, designated in 1974, and then excavated and partly raised. The main part of the hull is now being conserved in the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, but the bow section was not raised during the main excavation and there is high potential for the survival of artefacts and features outside of the excavation area.
The Mary Rose site is currently being excavated by the Mary Rose Trust.