In June 2012 the Sheffield team recorded the Bishop’s Mill and the former 1940s Ice Rink at Durham. Although the original Bishop’s Mill was first mentioned in 1183, one of eight medieval mills on the River Wear, the surviving ‘Bishop’s Mill’ is first recorded on a 1754 plan. Level 3 survey employed laser scanning to produce metrically accurate plans and sections.
At least 6 phases were identified ranging from the late 18th to early 20th centuries. The mill buildings had been adapted in the 1940s to accommodate refrigeration and electrical generating plant serving the adjacent former Durham Ice Rink, and elements of this plant remained within the building at the time of survey, although no original mill machinery, gearing or waterwheel had been retained.