As part of the 800th anniversary of the sealing of Magna Carta in 1215, finds and discoveries from two of Wessex Archaeology’s excavations have gone on display at the Windsor and Royal Borough Museum. This includes medieval finds from the excavation of the former Caley’s Department store located on the High Street, Windsor (including a decorated jug from the kiln centre at Kingston upon Thames, see photo), and the nationally important prehistoric Beaker burial from Kingsmead Quarry, Horton. The investigations at the former Caley’s Department store revealed evidence of medieval settlement including rubbish pits, a well, cess pits, the foundations of a 13th–14th century building, and later structures. Our findings from Windsor are due to appear in the Berkshire Archaeological Journal.
By Alistair Barclay, Team Leader, Analysis & Reporting