On 7 May 1765, 250 years ago today, HMS Victory was launched at Chatham Dockyard. Victory was a 1st Rate vessel and carried 104 guns making it one of the most formidable ships of the day. Best known as Lord Nelson’s Flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805, Victory was active for over 40 years and served in several engagements. Victory’s career ended on 7 November 1812 when it was moored in Portsmouth and used as a depot ship.
Today Victory is the only remaining example of a Royal Navy 1st Rate man-of-war from the age of sail. Though heavily repaired and restored over the years, the vessel is still one of the best examples of naval architecture from this period.
For information on our work with HMS Victory see http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/blogs/news/2014/02/20/hms-victory-amp-hms-caroline